Monday, January 2, 2012

I Am Resolved

New Year's resolutions are funny things. I am not sure if I have ever made a promise to myself to do something in a New Year. I am not sure why I never have, I think I just get tired of "promises" that we don't intend to keep. Although I have set goals for myself. I was challenged a while back to set goals, those that can be measured, in order to hold myself accountable to God. Normally around this time I get alone with God and seek what He would have me to do this year in every aspect of my life. Now to some of you that are reading this you may think it's stupid and that's fine by me. However, I know God has a purpose for my life and every day I wake up trying to live for Christ. I follow Him with everything I am. A lot of people aren't willing to do this because for the most part we are selfish. We don't want to be told what to do, especially with everything we have and do. Here's the difference-- God isn't a cruel boss that I serve. God is my best friend and Savior. He has my best interest in heart and so if He has the best plan for my life why not follow it? I know I would mess up my life if not for following Him.


I am resolved to follow Christ every day of my life. I purposed in my heart a long time ago that Christ was all I need. I have determined that I will follow Him to the ends of the earth, until I die or He returns to take me with Him to live with Him forever. I am challenged to read, follow and live out His Word in my life in all situations.
St. Patrick, a great missionary to Ireland whom the holiday is named after, once wrote this. I think the words are beautiful and if I had an anthem it would be this!

 Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.
St. Patrick (ca. 377)
I encourage you all to read the first chapter of Daniel. It is a great story of four young men that determined they would not turn their backs on all God has done for them by doing what the world says is okay to do. I love how the Bible talks about Daniel purposing in his heart, or being resolved to not defile himself. He made his mind up a long time ago that he was going to serve God no matter the costs.
But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way. (Daniel 1:8)
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego replied, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you.  If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty.  But even if he doesn’t, we want to make it clear to you, Your Majesty, that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up.”  (Daniel 3:16-18)

No comments:

Post a Comment